- Enable individuals to earn sustainable incomes through the production of art and craft using environmentally friendly materials.
- Enable individuals to save for important expenses
- Give individuals opportunities to explore their creative potential and develop new viable products
- Pay prices that are considered fair under WFTO fair trade principles
- Implement WFTO fair trade principles
- Find new markets for the sales
- Training in money management practices and formalizing “susu” saving groups
- Providing materials and remuneration for creative exploration
- Providing samples of alternative work that can be developed using existing techniques thus expanding range of skills and creative ability
- Assess fair trade standards and prices and pay accordingly
- Tap into our existing network of contacts to develop new markets
We are happy to report that, before we began training, some individuals took it upon themselves to begin their own “susu” savings (micro savings) in their respective homes. We’ll explain this further in a separate document.
We have designed this programme along WFTO fair trade principles so that, in future, when we have the money and a documented track record, we can apply for fair trade certification to formalize the organization as a fair trade organisation. Meanwhile, we are implementing the principles one by one and shall outline this in more detail in future reports.